EMY A. Cordano, Attorney at Law
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
We Are Open & Accepting New Clients
Contact Us For A Case Review
Call Us 801-804-5152
Text Us 801-821-8561

The Avenues
Custody Modification Attorney

Custody Modification Lawyer The Avenues

When you are getting divorced, perhaps nothing is more important than getting child custody issues settled. Divorces can be messy, but we know that you want what is in the best interests of your child. While the Utah court system would prefer that both parents remain active in their child’s life, there are so many things to consider when making final custody arrangements.

There may come a time after separation that adjustments need to be made to custody arrangements. When you need an Avenues custody modification attorney, you can turn to Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law. She will patiently work with you to figure out the best move forward.

Types Of Custody

You are already aware of the two main types of custody:

Legal custody refers to which parent is able to make legal decisions (education, medical, etc.) for the child. Physical custody refers to where the child resides.

A final divorce settlement usually involved a child custody settlement as well. There can be both joint or sole custody for both legal and physical, but they do not have to be the same for both.

Why Modify?

There are many reasons that a parent may need to seek child custody modifications.

  • Moving: If one of the parents is moving and they have physical custody of the child, they will need to seek a modification. This may mean that the child will now have to reside a significant distance from the other parent, who may also have custody or visitation rights.
  • Criminal Problems: If one parent gets into trouble with the law, the other parent may need to petition the court for a custody modification.
  • Substance Abuse: If one parent suspects that the other is abusing alcohol or drugs, they can petition the court to investigate and make modifications to the custody arrangements.
  • Physical/Sexual Abuse: If a parent is physically or sexually abusing a child, then law enforcement needs to be contacted and the court can order a custody modification.

Please note that child custody modifications may trigger a need to change child support payments as well, as the two are tied together. This may also mean that visitation rights may need to be added or changed.

If either side does not abide by court orders, the other party can petition the court for an enforcement order.

What You Can Do

We know that you just want the separation to be behind you, but we also know that sometimes things happen that force you to deal with your former spouse. Child custody modifications are sometimes necessary. Sometimes they are needed because of simple life changes, but sometimes they are necessary because of abuse. Regardless of why the changes are necessary, you need an Avenues custody modification attorney to help you through the case. Emy A. Cordano, Attorney at Law, will be there for you throughout the process. You can contact us by clicking here or call us at 801-804-5152 for an initial consultation.

    Contact Us

    All Fields are required
    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.